Mere Town Council
Town Clerk – Mrs. L. C. Wood
Phone: 01747 860701
4th May 2022
You are summoned to the ANNUAL TOWN COUNCIL MEETING of Mere Town Council to be held on Monday, 9th May 2022 at The Andy Young Pavilion, Springfield Road, Mere. BA12 6EW at 7.00 pm. The meeting will consider the items set out below.
Before the meeting there will be a public session to enable the people of Mere to ask questions of, and make comments, regarding the Town Council. Questions not answered at this meeting will be answered in writing to the person asking the question, or may appear as an agenda item for the next meeting. Members of the public are asked to restrict their comments, and/or questions to three minutes.
Please Note: By entering the meeting room you are consenting to the use of your name being recorded in the Minutes. The meeting may also be recorded by the press or members of the public. Any person or organisation choosing to film, record or broadcast any meeting of the Council or its committees is responsible for any claims or other liability resulting from them so doing and by choosing to film, record or broadcast proceedings they accept that they are required to indemnify the Council, its members and officers in relation to any such claims or liabilities.
Any person who may find difficulty in access to the meeting through disability is asked to advise the Clerk by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 24 hours before the meeting so that every effort may be made to provide access.
Town Clerk & RFO
Public Participation Session
Members of the public are invited to address the Council on any issue over which it has a power. This session will be limited to 15 minutes (3 minutes per speaker). The Chairman will convene the Town Council meeting after the public session (please note that once the meeting has been convened members of the public are no longer permitted to speak unless invited to do so by the Chairman).
- To elect Chairman of Mere Town Council for 2022/23 and to receive the Chairman’s Declaration of Acceptance of Office
- To elect Vice-Chairman of Mere Town Council for 2022/23 and to receive the Vice-Chairman’s Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
- To receive apologies for absence.
- To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests and other interests from Councillors on matters to be considered at the meeting.
- To receive Declarations of Interest relating to matters contained in this agenda, in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972 in respect of officers and the Localism Act 2011 in respect of members.
- To receive written requests for new DPI dispensations.
Members are invited to declare disclosable pecuniary interests and other interests in items on the agenda as required by the Mere Town Council Code of Conduct for Members and by the Localism Act 2011. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest. If you become aware, during the course of a meeting, of an interest that has not been disclosed under this item, you must immediately disclose it. Whether you can remain in the meeting and the extent to which you can participate depends on the type of interest you have.
- Minutes – To resolve that the minutes of the Town Council meeting held on Monday, 4th April 2022 be approved as a correct record. (attached)
*6. To approve and adopt the Standing Orders for Mere Town Council (distributed)
*7. To approve and adopt the Financial Regulations for Mere Town Council (distributed)
- Internal Audit
To appoint/re-appoint an Internal Auditor
- To review Committee Structures and appointment of any committees in accordance with standing order 4 and, if appointing committees, to consider terms of reference etc.
- To appoint members, including Convenors, to serve on Working Groups as required.
11, To appoint members, including the Chairman, to service on the Staffing Panel
- To appoint members, including the Chairman, to serve on the Appeals Committee
- To appoint/re-appoint Trustees for Forest Charities
- Review of representation on or work with external bodies and arrangements for reporting back:
|Organisation||2021/22 Representative||2022/23 Representative|
|Youth Club, Seeds4Success, CAYPIG (Community Area Young People)||Cllrs. Hazzard, L. Bennett & R. Coward.|
|Cricket Club||Cllr. Ings|
|Health & Community Care||Cllr. Hill|
|Tennis Club||Cllr. Jeans|
|Football Club||Cllr. Bennett|
|Public Transport & CATG||Cllr. Debbie Beale|
|Mere & District Linkscheme||Mrs. Adrienne Howell|
|Museum Committee||Cllr. Jeans|
|Footpaths & Rights of Way||Cllr. Jordan|
|Chamber of Trade||Chairman & Cllr. Colman|
|Friends of Mere Museum||Cllr. Jordan|
|School Governor||Cllr. Hansford|
|Mere Bowling Club||Cllr. Ings|
|Carnival Committee||Cllr. Jordan & Cllr. Nick Beale|
|Area Board & CATG||Chairman & Vice-Chairman|
|Mere Film Shows||Mrs. Rosie Jordan-Barr|
|Rivers Group||Cllr. R. Coward, Cllr. Debbie Beale & Cllr. Symonds|
|Mere Parochial Church Council||Cllr. Traves|
|Trustees for Mere Forest Charity||Cllrs. R. Coward, E. Mitchell, G. Jeans + Mrs. Myrene Coward|
*14. Review of delegation arrangements (Scheme of Delegation attached)
- To review the Council’s banking and signatory arrangements.
- To review the Council’s asset register
*17. To review the Council insurance policy and discuss/decide on alterations (summary attached)
- To fix the dates and times of ordinary meetings of the Council and Committees for the ensuing year.
- Matters Arising from Public Session
- Matters Arising from previous Meetings
- a) Platinum Jubilee Celebrations (Minute 131c) – update on plans to erect beacon, programme of events & finance etc.
- b) Provision/installation of conduits/ducts for street lights and battery powered EV chargers at Duchy Manor (Minute Ref: 131d)
- Reports & Consultations
- a) Wiltshire Councillors Report
- a) Applications for consultation response:
|Application Type:||Householder planning permission|
|Proposal:||Single Storey Extension|
|Site Address:||5 OAK LANE, MERE, WARMINSTER, BA12 6FJ|
|Planning Register link:||https://development.wiltshire.gov.uk/pr/s/planning-application/a0i3z0000183cPb
- Highways, Rivers, Footpaths, Traffic & Transport
- a) To identify jobs for the Parish Steward, Sparkle Team and MyWiltshire reports.
- b) Accessibility issues relating to footpaths and dropped kerbs
- c) Change from CATGs to LHFIGs – change of name and remit.
- Buildings, Open Spaces, Play Areas, Sports Grounds, Car Parks, Allotments & Cemeteries
- a) Request for replacement memorial seat on Castle Hill
- Finance, Policy & Resources
*a) Payments – To review and authorise schedule of payments (attached)
- b) To confirm approval for S.137 payments for 2022/23 financial year (as listed in payment schedule)
*c) To adopt recommendations made by working group at annual meeting to assess effectiveness of internal control measures (see Minutes of meeting held on 31st March 2022).
- d) To consider quotation for insurance renewal.
*e) To report on Allotment rent audit
- f) To review and approve Budget/Expenditure Report and End of Year Summaries
- g) To update the Council on staffing issues (vacancies and applications)
- h) Car Park Leases
- i) To consider replacement hand wash unit for unisex toilet block and quotation from Wallgate
- General Items & Consultations/Briefing Notes
*a) Briefing Note No. 22-10 – Electric Vehicle Charging Points
*b) Report on meeting to discuss matters relating to Mere Day Centre 26.4.22
- Future meetings and events
- a) Invitation for Chair and Clerk to attend Wiltshire Town & Parish Council conference on 27th May 2022
- b) Invitation for Chair & Clerk to attend Mere School lunch on 20th May and to hand out Bee Saving Flower Seeds
- Future agenda items
Please note that the Town Council will be discussing matters raised during the Annual Town Meeting including Cemetery Rules and Regulations at the June Town Council meeting which will be held on Monday, 6th June 2022.
Cllr. Jeans has requested that the Town Council consider proposals for additional parking restrictions for Mere Town Centre at the June Town Council meeting which will be held on Monday, 6th June 2022.
Note: Members are reminded that the Town Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety and Human Rights.
*Further information on these items enclosed/attached
MERE PEACE MEMORIAL SPORTS AND RECREATION GROUND
Registered Charity No. 1093497
- To receive report on end of year accounts and approve end of year accounts.
- To approve payments to:
Mere Town Council – Maintenance charges for 2021/22 £????????????
*In order to pay this, Mere Town Council has agreed to provide a donation to the Mere Peace Memorial Sports & Recreation Ground Charity for £?????????. The reason for these contra payments is to separate the Charity Accounts from the Town Council’s accounts.