Mere Town Council
Town Clerk – Mrs. L. C. Wood
Phone: 01747 860701
9th March 2022
You are summoned to a meeting of Mere Town Council to be held at the Andy Young Pavilion, Duchy Manor, Springfield Road, Mere. BA12 6EW on Monday, 14th March 2022 at 7.00 pm. The meeting will consider the items set out below.
Before the meeting there will be a public session to enable the people of Mere to ask questions of, and make comments, regarding the Town Council. Questions not answered at this meeting will be answered in writing to the person asking the question, or may appear as an agenda item for the next meeting. Members of the public are asked to restrict their comments, and/or questions to three minutes.
Please Note: By entering the meeting room you are consenting to the use of your name being recorded in the Minutes. The meeting may also be recorded by the press or members of the public. Any person or organisation choosing to film, record or broadcast any meeting of the Council or its committees is responsible for any claims or other liability resulting from them so doing and by choosing to film, record or broadcast proceedings they accept that they are required to indemnify the Council, its members and officers in relation to any such claims or liabilities.
Any person who may find difficulty in access to the meeting through disability is asked to advise the Clerk by email (email@example.com) at least 24 hours before the meeting so that every effort may be made to provide access.
Town Clerk & RFO
Public Participation Session
Members of the public are invited to address the Council on any issue over which it has a power. This session will be limited to 15 minutes (3 minutes per speaker). The Chairman will convene the Town Council meeting after the public session (please note that once the meeting has been convened members of the public are no longer permitted to speak unless invited to do so by the Chairman).
- Apologies – To receive apologies for absence.
- To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests and other interests from Councillors on matters to be considered at the meeting.
- To receive Declarations of Interest relating to matters contained in this agenda, in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972 in respect of officers and the Localism Act 2011 in respect of members.
- To receive written requests for new DPI dispensations.
Members are invited to declare disclosable pecuniary interests and other interests in items on the agenda as required by the Mere Town Council Code of Conduct for Members and by the Localism Act 2011. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest. If you become aware, during the course of a meeting, of an interest that has not been disclosed under this item, you must immediately disclose it. Whether you can remain in the meeting and the extent to which you can participate depends on the type of interest you have.
*3. Minutes – To resolve that the minutes of the Town Council meeting held on Monday, 7th February 2022 be approved as a correct record. (attached)
- Matters Arising from Public Session
*5. Matters Arising from previous Meetings
- a) Mere Car Club –
- Report and analysis of survey results (electronic and paper) for suggestions for Mere Car Club and, if positive response received, to consider the plan for car park charging spaces and car parking replacement spaces, as identified by Cllr. Jeans. (attached)
- Also, to confirm support for option (subject to finer details being confirmed) of the car club being run as a Town Council project on the basis that Co Cars manage the club, leaving no/minimal admin for Mere Town Council.
*b) Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
- Do we accept recommendations including conditions made by Historic England to be included in their advice that consent should be granted for Scheduled Ancient Monument Consent for the beacon on Castle Hill to be made to the Secretary of State?
- Purchase of flags & bunting
- Suggestion by Town Clerk on gifting wild flower seeds to Mere School pupils.
- Update from Jubilee Committee
*c) Climate Change Strategy –
- suggestions for community survey & also Town Council strategy document – Cllr. Debbie Beale (information attached)
- adoption of Wiltshire Council Climate Strategy
- invitation to WALC Online Event – Fighting Climate Change – (learn more about the actions that councils can take locally to fight climate change and discover how councils are already doing this successfully) Wednesday, 25th May 2022 – 12.00 – 13.15 BST (£38.93 per ticket if paid by card.)
- d) The future of Sheltered Housing at Lynch Close – update on communication since last meeting and report from Chair & Vice-Chair on meeting attended on 8.3.22.
- e) Cemetery Wall- update on storm damage.
- Reports & Consultations
- a) Wiltshire Councillors Report
- a) Government’s White Paper: Levelling Up the United Kingdom published 2.2.22 (the actual document is 305 pages so here is a link to the LGA briefing) – https://www.local.gov.uk/parliament/briefings-and-responses/levelling-white-paper-lga-briefing
- a) Applications for consultation response:
|Application Type:||Consent under Tree Preservation Orders|
|Proposal:||Ash (T1) – re-pollard – pollards are heavy and worries they will fall|
|Site Address:||6 HILLSIDE CLOSE, MERE, WARMINSTER, BA12 6LB|
|Planning Register link:|| https://development.wiltshire.gov.uk/pr/s/planning-application/a0i3z000017Rw5A
|Application Type:||Wiltshire Council R3|
|Proposal:||Proposed extension of the car park at Mere Primary School/Mere Cricket/Bowling Club. The proposed changes facilitate more parking spaces for both teachers, visitors and community users, as well as increased pedestrian safety around the car park. The proposal will also enable coach access and turning to the car park and drop off area.|
|Site Address:||Mere School, Springfield Road, Mere, BA12 6EW|
|Planning Register link:||https://development.wiltshire.gov.uk/pr/s/planning-application/a0i3z000017RBgJ
|Application Type:||Householder planning permission|
|Proposal:||Proposed extension over existing garage and then convert garage and build a new garage|
|Site Address:||MARTONE, SPRINGFIELD ROAD, MERE, WARMINSTER, BA12 6EW|
|Planning Register link:||https://development.wiltshire.gov.uk/pr/s/planning-application/a0i3z000017RO1f
|Application Type:||Householder planning permission|
|Proposal:||Single Storey Extensions and associated internal alterations.|
|Site Address:||FORGURLS, MILL LANE, MERE, WARMINSTER, BA12 6DA|
|Planning Register Link:||https://development.wiltshire.gov.uk/pr/s/planning-application/a0i3z000017SDDs
- Highways, Rivers, Footpaths, Traffic & Transport
- a) To identify jobs for the Parish Steward, Sparkle Team and MyWiltshire reports
- b) Report on CATG meeting held on 23rd February
- c) Speed Limits on The Lynch – Cllr. Rachael Hansford
- Buildings, Open Spaces, Play Areas, Sports Grounds, Car Parks, Allotments & Cemeteries
*a) Report on survey of beech trees behind tennis courts in Recreation Ground – as carried out by Astill Treecare Ltd (report attached) and also to report on two other beech trees in Recreation Ground that have suffered storm damage this winter.
- b) To explore the provision/installation of 1, 2 or 3 solar powered street lights for Duchy Manor to be purchased & installed in conjunction with school car park expansion project.
- c) Firework Display for Mere School – Cllr. Hazzard
- d) Tree planting in Kingsmere Open Space – Cllr. Ings
*e) Tree planting in Mere for Queens Platinum Jubilee
- e) Update on minor refurbishments for Public Toilets
- f) Flying or display & purchase of Ukrainian flag to show solidarity
- g) Spring Clean – Community Litter Pick – Cllr. John Jordan
- Finance, Policy & Resources
*a) Payments – To review and authorise schedule of payments (attached)
- b) To review online banking payment controls
- c) Recommendations & finance options for purchase of tractors and possible implements.
- General Items
*a) To consider draft agenda for Annual Town Meeting to be held on 20th April (attached)
- Future meetings and events
- a) Wiltshire Council South West Wiltshire Area Board meeting – Wednesday, 16th March 2022 at 6.30 pm at Wilton Community Centre, Wilton, SP2 0DG.
- Future agenda items
Note: Members are reminded that the Town Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions: Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status and any disability), Crime and Disorder, Health and Safety and Human Rights.
*Further information on these items enclosed/attached
MERE PEACE MEMORIAL SPORTS AND RECREATION GROUND
Registered Charity No. 1093497
For Trustees to consider the following:
- a) Report on survey of beech trees behind tennis courts in Recreation Ground – as carried out by Astill Treecare Ltd (report attached) and also to report on two other beech trees in Recreation Ground that have suffered storm damage this winter.